So how did a little fringe theatre end up above your favourite pub?
The Drayton Arms was originally built in 1860 and then rebuilt to its current design in 1891.
Originally a function room the first theatrical use of the space was just after the war as a rehearsal room for many of the actors from the newly formed BBC TV who lived locally.
In 1985 The upstairs room at the Drayton Arms was then being used as a rehearsal studio for Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art. Hilary Wood had recently been appointed head of acting and at her suggestion it was decided to turn the space into a theatre to give the students their own performance space in central London.
In the autumn of that year the studio was converted into a theatre with the space being designed by Hilary and Newton Jones the technical director of the Academy.
The Drayton Studio - as it was then - continued in use for the next twenty years, with twelve public performances running each year. Many of the students who presented their work there have gone on to real achievement in Theatre, Film and Television.
The Theatre was used as a rehearsal space on and off for a few years with couple of public performances for charity in 2009.
In late 2010 it was decided to get the theatre back up and running on a more permanent basis. Work was undertaken to upgrade the space and then in April 2011 the theatre licence was granted and the Drayton Arms Theatre was reopened as a professional fringe venue.